Yesterday we enjoyed our slow start, girls watched tablets, I made coffee and read. When we left the apt we saw water bubbling up through some of the drains - turns out it was high tide and the water was already high, so it was coming UP through the vents it usually drains down into. We were mostly able to get around and avoid the puddles.









We wandered for a bit and then decided to do a gondola ride - they are pricey, but we figured we’re maybe only here once. Had we thought about it / asked about the water we would have waited, but we didn’t know. We actually had to wade though a puddle to board (my leather shoes kept me dry, but Jeff got wet - we carried the girls over the puddle). We got started and soon realized what high tide meant for the gondolas - they barely fit under the bridges! In fact, the gondolier had to ask Jeff to go sit in the front of the boat to weigh that side down because of the high point in front - ha! And then he still had to practically dump us sideways out of the boat to fit. Less than relaxing! But the girls enjoyed it - we went through some smaller canals and then out to the Grand Canal. It was like rush hour traffic out there! And then amidst the taxis and gondolas we heard and ambulance coming - so they gondolier quickly moved us to the side. He showed us how several docks and patios were under water. When we got back to the dock, he took a great pic of us! And the water was already going down; the puddle we’d gone through to board was passable now.
We all walked out to St Mark’s square, stopping along the way at a candy store - it’s all yummy candy and you pay by the kilo. I won’t tell you how much we spent 🤢 Then we got to St Marks and could see it had been pretty flooded shortly before we got there - they had some of the raised platforms set up and there were giant puddles. We found a restaurant right on the square to get a drink - the girls got hot chocolate and Jeff and I got bellinis. And cicchetti (finally!) one was fishy, one had herbs, one was shrimp, one ham salad, and one bruschetta. Lauren chard pigeons for a while and then we left to get souvenirs.
Neither of them seemed super interested in glass, Abby finally picked out a fan for €5. And then we ended up back there 10 min later and Lauren picked a €2 one. Both are happy!
We came back to pay low for a bit and picked up a few snacks/dinner for the girls - they had yogurt, bananas w/ PB. Jeff and I munched on olives and shared a bottle of wine. After the girls ate, Jeff ran out to get them gelato because we had talked about getting it for Abby’s half birthday! Then after I read to the girls, he ran back out (he says he can get to and from Rialto without a map anymore) to get us a couple of slices of pizza - we specifically looked for a place that has the really thick (but light) crust - we had seen them in a few take out places but hadn’t tried yet. They were really good! He got pepperoni and margarita, and then the guy told him to try the ham/cheese/pesto one - that it was the best! All were delicious.
Girls were still up and Abby woke up at 1 and I ended up snuggling with them. Let’s say I wasn’t sad about leaving my bed - I find it super uncomfortable. And we still have a bunch of mosquitoes in here! Cannot figure it out. These accommodations have just been ok - the house itself is nice, have plenty of room, but there was only 1 roll of TP, not great towels, mosquitoes, terrible pillows.
This morning. Well, everyone was in a mood. Abby is beyond ready to be home. I ended up going out by myself for an hour at noon - I would have stayed out longer, but it was raining the whole time and getting worse. I stopped into a small glass store and got an ornament for me and a cute Santa and snowman ornament for the girls for this year’s ornament. I ended up walking a different direction than we had been before. Wandered back to Rialto and was planning to look at jewelry along there, but then it started raining harder so I came back.
Jeff and I got all packed up and cleaned up. We got all our rain gear on at 3 to go get dinner - ha. We walked over to Rialto and crossed over and picked a restaurant on the other side right on the grand canal. It was drizzling, but WINDY! Jeff said we’d be fine outside in the corner - they had plastic “windows” hung up. So we sat down and then held on 😂 At one point, the water was so high in the canal that when a boat would drive by it would lap up under out table. Jeff kept shouting “memories!” And indeed it will be memorable. Jeff said his pizza was good, Abby had pesto pasta, Lauren had fries. My ravioli was billed as “4 cheese”, but was actually spinach ravioli with a cheese sauce - it wasn’t good.
On our way home we stopped into a rosticceria called Gislon where Lucia suggested we try their fried mozzarella. So we grabbed a small glass of wine and fried mozzarella with ham. I thought it was ok, Jeff liked it.
I made the mistake of handing the girls each a €2 coin we’d gotten in change, and then it was burning a hole in Lauren’s pocket. We were going to get gelato, but Abby had to go potty, so she and Jeff went home - Lauren and I went into a couple of places, but she didn’t find anything she wanted for 2 bucks. Don’t get me wrong, they sell plenty of crap for that price - ha - but she kept saying she wanted a toy or a stuffy, which I told her she couldn’t find for that price. I finally dragged her out of there and to the grocery store for TP. Then I dropped her with Jeff and walked to get gelato. The nearest place to us was closed, so I ended up walking a few minutes further and then speed walking home before it melted - but I found mint chip and the girls were appreciative.
They are both asleep and I’m following shortly. 4am alarm set. We have to leave just after 5 to catch a water taxi to the airport. Wish me and Abby luck - it’ll be a small boat with just us on board. I have barf bags ready. No breakfast until we get to the airport!
We all voted tonight at dinner and Venice is our fave city (well, Lauren said all of them!). They are hanging Christmas lights already and I’d love to come back to see that some time!
Comments