I spent yesterday exploring and trying to keep myself up until a decently late time. I spent several hours at the Auckland Museum - they had a lot of local native (Maori) exhibits, a very cool exhibit about volcanoes, and a whole floor dedicated to all of the wars NZ has fought in - with a very nice memorial. I then sat outside in the park for a bit with my book, then wandered down Parnell Rd to see the shops - didn't go in anywhere yet, but got a feel for what's there. I stopped for gelato in a little cafe and ended up chatting with an American who lived in Des Moines for years. Small world. The museum - click on the photo to see the spiffy front steps!

Day 2: http://kellytmiller.blogspot.com/2011/03/day-2.html
Here's our car, Bruce, and the Chalet (with the awnings across the street).
Back at the Chalet, I relaxed and talked with the owners for a bit and met a British couple who just checked in for a couple nights. They've spent the last 7 weeks driving around NZ and got me very excited about doing more exploring! They are both quite nice, but very chatty - I almost laughed when the guy was telling a story about talking with someone who wouldn't let him get a word in edgewise, 'cause that's exactly how I felt about him!
After talking with everyone for a while, I went for a late dinner at a pub down the street. Got served a Guinness by an Irishman who left for Australia 3 years ago for a 6 week vacation ... ended up staying in Australia for 2 years and now NZ a year. He's heading to Canada next month to try somewhere new. Met another American as well - he's in the Army and just back from Afghanistan and visiting here for a couple weeks for vacation. Talked with him for quite a while and then went home to bed!
I'm off now to catch a bus and check out the central business district. Beautiful weather again today!
Day 2: http://kellytmiller.blogspot.com/2011/03/day-2.html
Comments