Skip to main content

Grindlewald and Interlaken, updated

Just a quick post to say we're still here. Had a good day... visited Grindlewald and Interlaken.  We were gone about 5 hours. Jeff and Lauren napped 4-7 and then I decided we'd ether get take out or room service rather than take Lauren out for a late dinner. Trying to get Lauren to wind down for bed... always a feat after she's eaten food, seems to give her a second wind. She and Jeff are blowing raspberries in each other's faces right now 😀

I'm tired and stuffy so heading to bed. I'll update this post with more details and pictures (I do these posts as much for me to read and remember the trip months or years later as I do to share with all of you, hence my probably oversharing details of our meals!) either tomorrow morning or later tonight if Lauren decides to sleep terribly. Again.

Update: full post from yesterday

We're getting slow starts here, so no breakfast again yesterday. Instead we stopped at a bakery in town. We got two rolls (looked like cinnamon rolls but she said they were hazelnut), juice, and coffee. Hopped on the cable car back up to Mannlichen. It was very overcast yesterday morning and we went up thru the clouds, thinking we may get above them at the top. Uh, nope, we were *in* them! No view of anything (felt bad for the people who probably made a day trip to do this!) and could probably only see 40ft in front of you. So glad we weren't hiking in that! And glad we'd been up there before so we generally knew where we were going to catch the gondola to Grindlewald. The signs are great, but we definitely couldn't see the Grindlewald lift from the Wengen one.

Anyway, caught the gondola down. These were small ones (the one from Wengen I think says it holds 70 people? Which would be packed, but we rode up about half full with 20 people and two dogs)  that hold 4 people. Or Jeff, me, and a stroller, barely :) It was interesting getting the stroller on board since the gondola doesn't stop, just slows down to board. Anyway, in we went. Was probably a 20 minute ride. We ate our rolls on the trip. Lauren ate a bunch of mine. I don't think she's met a food she didn't like. She's getting very good at letting you know what she thinks. Will beg for more food, push your hand away when done eating, leans back to lay down when she wants to nurse (there is no small talk when I pick her up in the morning, just "yeah, yeah, feed me, Mom"), and arches her back when she's mad (makes it hard to hold her).

Very pretty ride down. The top half of the ride is ski hills with two other lifts to the top. This is the only lift all the way down to Grindlewald, though. When we got off we started walking towards town. Turns out the gondola is about 25 minutes from town and at the lowest point! So quite a hike up to town. We passed almost no one on or walk and then finally saw people when we got to town. Downtown was ok. Much bigger than Wengen and amazing what a difference cars make! We're very happy with where we decided to stay. We made a quick walk thru town and then caught a train to Interlaken. Interlaken is a decent size city. Very walkable. We walked clear across to the other train station. Watch stores *everywhere*, probably about every 3rd store. Some really beautiful old hotels. We found a bakery to get a sandwich then walked back to a park to eat. Saw a couple paragliders land in the park. They are setting up for a marathon this Saturday... starts in Interlaken, comes thru Wengen, and ends up past Kleine Scheidegg. 6000ft climb overall, sounds terrible! I guess we'll see the runners come thru here Saturday.

Caught the train back to Lauterbrunnen and then the cog wheel back up to Wengen. Stopped at the co-op for diet coke, wafer cookies (kind of like kit kats, but way better! ), and some formula. We thought Lauren might sleep better if we filled her up more (can't tell how much my cold and lack of sleep is affecting my milk production)... but we'll never know because she won't drink it. She got so excited to see the bottle, took one taste, and freaked out crying. I tried twice more throughout the night, but no go. Glad we bought the smallest bag.

Back too the hotel a little before 4 and Jeff and Lo took a 3 hour nap! I should've slept, but I'm enjoying a John Sandford Prey/Lucas Davenport novel. I realized I made it through half the book and couldn't believe those two were still sleeping! We ordered room service for dinner...i just didn't want to take L out and get her all riled up again. Jeff had pasta Bolognese and I had a steak. Decent food. Hit the spot for me. Lauren ate a bunch of my veggies and potatoes.

Another bad night of sleep. I really hope our good night sleeper returns when we get home. And happy I have 5 days at home before going back to work to hopefully get her back on a routine.

I'm so happy we bought the cheap umbrella stroller we brought... there's no way our big Bob stroller would be nearly as easy to maneuver on trains and definitely wouldn't have fit on the gondola!

Today we're off to Lauterbrunnen to see the waterfalls.

Pics from yesterday:
view at the bottom of the cable car in Wengen



"view"at the top... my hair got soaked on the 3 minute walk to the other gondola

hotel in Interlaken

holy seeds on this bread! 

 lunch time

another pretty hotel

bath time! 

 view coming down in the gondola into Grindlewald


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Travel day

Monday.  We really lucked out on weather the first 6 days. The last 3 were definitely not great for the pools. Today was sunny again and it’s amazing how much warmer it felt while we were walking around.  We got up and packed and headed out before 9 to try to catch a feeding. Never saw a feeding but wandered through the aquariums again. Breakfast at Shake Shack. Up over the rope bridge again.  Got our luggage and checked out at 11 and caught our shuttle to the airport. The ride to the hotel seemed to be on major roads, but the ride back to the airport seemed to take us through a ton of small rundown streets. We did go past the US Embassy and a few hospitals as well.  The line for TSA was long but went pretty fast and we cleared customs quickly. I got a Starbucks (coffee for me, pastries for the girls) and the girls colored in the gate area. Flight was easy and the girls discovered they could play tic tac toe against each other on the screens in the seats. We made it ...

Lauterbrunnen and Mürren, updated

Lauren and I are reading books, Jeff's at the laundromat. Really good day today. 21,000 steps! We're pooped! Walked thru the Lauterbrunnen valley, so beautiful. Wonderful day for it, too. Then up a cable car to Murren. I will post more later, but my phone battery is low and I'm going to try to get Lo to sleep. Update:  Yesterday was awesome. Jeff said it was his favorite hike, I still think Mannlichen too Kleine Scheidegg is my fave, but this was a very close second.  Started with breakfast again. L ate more pancakes, I got a fried egg and a roll with Nutella. Yum! Ooh, and the coffee, so good.  Then a nap for L and we got packed for the day. Caught the noon train to Lauterbrunnen. It was our first time leaving the station there; we've changed trains there a ton, but never left the platform. Town was really nice, and we had a gorgeous sunny day. The first waterfall is just outside of the main drag and then we got on what a blog I read called "a ...

Mannlichen

So last night we went to an Italian steakhouse/ pizza place for dinner called Sina's. We kept Lauren entertained with several of those really long skinny hard breadsticks (Mom, remember when you used to buy those for us?) and then when our anti pasta plate arrived (ham, salami, cheese, pickles (they seem to love pickles here!) and really tasty) the waiter (I think he was the owner) looked right at her sitting in Jeff's lap, said "this is for you" and set it right in front of her...a split second later she had both hands smack in the middle of the plate. Pretty funny, wish I'd gotten a picture. Jeff had pizza for dinner, I had spaghetti alla carbonara (good, but not as good as yours, Mom). Lauren sat in our laps until our main course came and then sat pretty happily in her stroller next to me, as long as I kept putting pasta in her mouth! Dinner was really good, probably amplified by the fact it was only our second real meal of the trip and neither of us had lunch....