Yesterday at breakfast our waiter asked what we were up to for the day and we said we were just going to drive around and see what we could find. He suggested we go to the Rainmaker, a place in the rainforest that we could walk around and see waterfalls. So we looked it up and headed there. It was about a 15 minute drive up the main road back north of Quepos, but then you got on a very potholed gravel road for 7km. And by very, I mean very. It took us at least 30 minutes to drive up it. When we turned into the road we were in a palm tree farm...Jeff said it looked like a road you'd drive down to get killed (I think he's been watching too much Breaking Bad :) ). It was fascinating once we got past the palm tree farm to see the kinds of houses the locals live in.
Eventually we made it to Rainmaker, paid our fee, and hiked around. The path was maybe 3km, but mostly up or down, so it was a workout! As we started Jeff said "now here's where you'd see snakes" so I spent all day watching where I was walking! We hiked for probably 90 minutes...up stairs, across hanging bridges, past waterfalls, down slippery stairs (my least favorite part!), and to a swimming hole (Jeff jumped in, said it was cold!). I took tons of pictures, but none on my phone so I can't share them here yet. It was a sweaty excursion (but felt great to move around!) followed by a long drive down the bumpy road again, then back to the hotel.
Got back and went to the pool even though it was overcast. We both read for a while, then got in the pool around happy hour. The pool was the busiest we'd seen it since we got here (and it's not that big!).
We got back to the room and Jeff slept from 5-7...seems to be sick or have a bit of food poisoning. He says maybe dinner the night before as he felt off all day. He did get up and want to go out to dinner, so we went to the Wagon for pizza. The owner was there again and DRUNK again. He was short staffed and the one teenaged waiter ran around like crazy. We were there two hours just to get a pizza, but there was good people watching. Pizza was good; our cheapest dinner yet. Crashed when we got back.
I woke up a bit earlier than usual...it gets light by 530 w/o daylight savings time, but I usually get up around 630. Hopefully Jeff feels better today...we'll have breakfast and pack and then start our 5 hour drive north.
Comments