Everyone did great sleeping through the night (except me, I slept terribly ). Woke up to our alarm and the girls did pretty good getting moving for our earliest start yet. We walked about 5 min to a taxi stand and caught a cab right away. It took about 10 min to drive to the Colosseum, so we got to slowly make our way down to it and take some pictures before Francesca arrived at 9. We went right in and spent about an hour inside exploring the first and second levels.










Francesca brought the girls a box of candy that looked like a mini pizza, which of course delighted them. Jeff and I got to ask lots of questions today … the girls did better walking all on their own since we had taxied over and it was the first thing of the day, but nothing held their interest for long. After the colosseum, we walked across to the Roman Forum and spent another hour+ in there. The girls had the most fun hopping across the big stones they used to make the street (and I kept saying “wait, these are really the actually street and we can all still walk on it?!”). We saw little lizards. Francesca had a book similar to the one the Oysters let us borrow that showed the current ruins and how the area used to look, which really helps you picture it.
After she left we walked to McDonald’s - Jeff always likes to check out the menu in other countries and the girls had asked for some comfort food. The place was packed - we managed to get 4 seats and then had people breathing down our neck for them as we were finishing up. And there was ONE bathroom each for male/females, Lauren had to go and we probably waited 15 min. No idea what everyone was doing in there and why there was only one stall.
We had purposely walked to the McD’s near Trevi fountain and so we headed back there and once again it was barricaded off! Cannot believe our luck the other day that we got so close so easily! And that the picture of the girls looks like we had the place to ourselves (we definitely didn’t). I’m disappointed we didn’t get to sit around there and people watch, but glad our first stop was a good one.
We stopped at a candy store (these girls are going to turn into a lump of sugar) and then walked home. Abby and I ran into the market for yogurt again. Then the girls turned our living room into a market, Abby and I took a nap, and Jeff and I opened a bottle of wine.
We walked to dinner about 10 min from our apt - a place Francesca recommended with thinner, crispier pizza. Cokes and beer instead of cocktails, pizza for Jeff and me.
Home and Jeff and I packed, he started one last load of laundry. I just finished reading to the girls and waiting for them to fall asleep.
We have to leave here at 10 - we’ll head back to the taxi stand (in the rain - boo) to catch a cab to the train station, and then off to Florence!
Comments