Skip to main content

Florence redux

Pretty similar day to yesterday - everyone slept ok,  made the most of our extra hour. We went down to breakfast (crowded today!) and then back to our room - the girls like to brush teeth after breakfast instead of before. We left about 9:45 to walk to the Leonardo Divinci Interactive Museum. It was pretty cool - had a bunch of Divinci’s inventions you could try out. Our tickets were for 10:30 and we got right in and spent about an hour there. It wasn’t a very big location, but had probably two dozen things to try out. 

When we left we headed back to the Duomo plaza for gelato (what else?!) - the girls are getting good at picking two flavors for their cups! And Jeff and I even got some this time. 

We then headed towards the Ponte Vecchio - I truly thought it was more souvenir shops, but it seemed to be all high end jewelry. And complete back to back people. Couldn’t even get a pic on the bridge (there’s one part halfway across where there aren’t shops and you can actually see the river) without a long wait for a spot. We wandered a bit on that side of the river and then walked back to the park we found the first day. The girls played for an hour. 

We then walked back across the river and back to Piazza Santa Maria Novella for souvenirs and lunch. Managed to talk the girls into little leather purses in the shape of animals instead of stuffed animals. Then we sat for lunch. Jeff had a calzone and I pizza - the best pepperoni we’ve had our whole time here. The girls got their mojitos with strawberries in them today! Jeff also had eggplant parmesan and I had a caprese salad again - the mozzarella was great but the tomatoes not as good as yesterday. We ate right next to the place we ate yesterday and I actually walked over there to ask for two paper placemats since the restaurant we were at today didn’t have any and the girls wanted to color. The free crayons we picked up at O’Hare have come in handy! I brought markers and colored pencils, but the crayons are a great size for carrying in my day bag. 

We stopped at a market on the way home for bread and a few things. The girls are eating peanut butter bananas and I’m making PBJs for the train tomorrow. 

We have to leave about 9:45 again tomorrow to catch our train to Venice. It’s supposed to be raining in the morning. Jeff and I just packed and the girls are watching a movie. All our rain clothes are laid out for us tomorrow. Breakfast and then we’ll hear up. 

I’m seriously considering leaving our stroller here. I bought it on Marketplace for this trip, so the cost isn’t a big concern. We don’t use it when we are in the cities because they are so busy, narrow streets, cobblestones. And most of all, the girls fight over who gets to sit in it. I think I would appreciate it in Heathrow and O’Hare, but when we arrived in Florence I carried it the whole 10 min walk to our hotel (while the girls begged to get into it). Send me your thoughts before 9:30 tomorrow morning 😊

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1Qk_InX8l5txaUQgrk8506Vk_Rrd6mPdyhttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=19ISwz4P1PO3OzGE01nVxikKEKiRl2Js0https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=17okFFrBcIK9hvJg0JrcKmrP_UUIIvIrBhttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=11hrK1ovCeja1PXQoVIX3o4bzzxGNQk-Chttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1EIS-qkV4JUAPcvEq_9X3LgbVwltwJkQuhttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1RKMpZOivdy0a_RUawBG3a5CPL1_GpUCchttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1pjdQV6x2G5hSH1LxaCBVG5u9eDg6h503

Comments

Trish said…
Think about you everyday. Sending hugs and kisses to all.
Carol Glisch said…
Will you use the strolling at home? If not leave it😊
Christy said…
I hope you left the stroller - imagine I carried Ashton through Disney and survived so you got this! I actually loved not having it at the airport our last trip :) so fun to catch up on your adventures!! Hope the rest of your travels are great!

Popular posts from this blog

Travel day

Monday.  We really lucked out on weather the first 6 days. The last 3 were definitely not great for the pools. Today was sunny again and it’s amazing how much warmer it felt while we were walking around.  We got up and packed and headed out before 9 to try to catch a feeding. Never saw a feeding but wandered through the aquariums again. Breakfast at Shake Shack. Up over the rope bridge again.  Got our luggage and checked out at 11 and caught our shuttle to the airport. The ride to the hotel seemed to be on major roads, but the ride back to the airport seemed to take us through a ton of small rundown streets. We did go past the US Embassy and a few hospitals as well.  The line for TSA was long but went pretty fast and we cleared customs quickly. I got a Starbucks (coffee for me, pastries for the girls) and the girls colored in the gate area. Flight was easy and the girls discovered they could play tic tac toe against each other on the screens in the seats. We made it ...

Lauterbrunnen and Mürren, updated

Lauren and I are reading books, Jeff's at the laundromat. Really good day today. 21,000 steps! We're pooped! Walked thru the Lauterbrunnen valley, so beautiful. Wonderful day for it, too. Then up a cable car to Murren. I will post more later, but my phone battery is low and I'm going to try to get Lo to sleep. Update:  Yesterday was awesome. Jeff said it was his favorite hike, I still think Mannlichen too Kleine Scheidegg is my fave, but this was a very close second.  Started with breakfast again. L ate more pancakes, I got a fried egg and a roll with Nutella. Yum! Ooh, and the coffee, so good.  Then a nap for L and we got packed for the day. Caught the noon train to Lauterbrunnen. It was our first time leaving the station there; we've changed trains there a ton, but never left the platform. Town was really nice, and we had a gorgeous sunny day. The first waterfall is just outside of the main drag and then we got on what a blog I read called "a ...

Mannlichen

So last night we went to an Italian steakhouse/ pizza place for dinner called Sina's. We kept Lauren entertained with several of those really long skinny hard breadsticks (Mom, remember when you used to buy those for us?) and then when our anti pasta plate arrived (ham, salami, cheese, pickles (they seem to love pickles here!) and really tasty) the waiter (I think he was the owner) looked right at her sitting in Jeff's lap, said "this is for you" and set it right in front of her...a split second later she had both hands smack in the middle of the plate. Pretty funny, wish I'd gotten a picture. Jeff had pizza for dinner, I had spaghetti alla carbonara (good, but not as good as yours, Mom). Lauren sat in our laps until our main course came and then sat pretty happily in her stroller next to me, as long as I kept putting pasta in her mouth! Dinner was really good, probably amplified by the fact it was only our second real meal of the trip and neither of us had lunch....