Well, the goal today was fewer steps for the girls’ sake … and we failed.







We had a low key morning; everyone fell asleep for about 3 hours last night and then was up again. I was bad and was reading while everyone slept, and just as I finished my book, everyone woke up. Lauren has been great about putting music on her tablet and getting herself back to sleep. Abby not so much. So, everyone slept in again, got ready, had breakfast in the apartment , and we headed out about noon.
I really wanted to take a taxi, but Jeff insisted we could walk and stop for food along the way <insert eye roll>. We got as far as the river and stopped for gelato. Abby got strawberry and disliked it so she traded me for my coffee/whiskey cream - and ate all of mine!
We made it to a piazza near Vatican, stopped for more food for the girls, then put Jeff’s backpack in a locker and headed up to the Vatican gates. There was a sandwich shop across the street and Jeff and I split a sandwich. Then we walked up to the gate and met our guide, Francesca. She used to be an archeologist and has been giving tours of Rome for 18 years now. She was great with the girls. We started outside overlooking the gardens and she oriented us to the city. Then we went through some of the museums, saw mummies and other artifacts. She was a font of information , she clearly could have spent hours in the museum. The girls quickly lost interest, were tired and hungry. Mom fail, I forgot to refill the snacks in my bag and we had to leave Jeff’s in a locker outside.
We sat outside for a bit as she told us about the Sistine Chapel, I gave the girls the last of the candy in my bag. They only let so many people in at a time and we missed the cutoff. Francesca knows a bunch of the guards and tried to sneak us in but got denied. We practically ran through exhibits they routed us through and then when they dropped the rope again she guestured to the girls (in our arms at this point) and the guy took pity and let us in. They make a big deal about being quiet in the Sistine Chapel, but it was decidedly … not quiet. Francesca gave the girls tic tacs while Jeff and I looked around. We didn’t stay long, Jeff said it was the most underwhelming thing for him today. From there we had to go outside to get into St Peter’s. We got to go straight in instead of waiting in line, but it was pouring outside! So we made about a 3 min dash through the rain. We all had rain coats, but our pants and shoes got wet (we saw a family inside who didn’t have rain gear and they were completely soaked, kids crying).
Francesca said she spends 2.5 hours for adults inside St Peter’s, I told her she had about 15 min for the girls - ha. On the way out, the rain had turned to just a drizzle so she visited with us a bit on the way out. She gave the girls her box of tix tacs and they asked to hold her hand on the walk out (she didn’t know how easily she could win them over - ha). She pointed us to a taxi stand, but of course the line was really long. So we found a place for dinner nearby.
At dinner I got an amaretto sour (flashback to Millertime pub with Laura Kreiner 20 years ago!), Abby got her green apple juice, and Lauren got a virgin mojito. Jeff got a Greek salad and pizza, I had lasagna. The girls ordered spaghetti (with and without sauce). I got a great video of Lauren slurping up her noodles!
We went back to the taxi line and even though the rain had stopped, it was just as long. Which meant a very long walk home. Carrying leftover spaghetti and two girls. We stopped at the gelatoria around the corner from our apt and the girls and I had a dish. There were tons of unique flavors - Lauren tried 6 and ended up with vanilla - ha! And a scoop of cinnamon. Abby had something with Oreos. I had my coffee and something with almond flavoring.
Jeff just started laundry. It’s not in our apt, it’s in the room down the hall, but only available to us as I understand it. I did not pack appropriately… I was so worried about us being chilly that Lauren and I have mostly warm clothes (cozy leggings for L and sweaters for me), so it’ll be good to wash the few lighter things we’ve been wearing.
Nothing scheduled tomorrow, supposed to rain in the morning - we’re considering a bus tour. I am determined to finally try the bakery around the corner that our hosts recommend. Hopefully way fewer than 15k steps tomorrow.
Comments