Skip to main content

Steps and steps

Steps as in the 14,888 Lauren took today! Abby only wore her watch half the day. 

And steps as in the Spanish Steps, which both girls walked all the way to the top of! 

Backing up … we left our apt about 11, walked through Piazza Novana again, got a donut and a latte near there, and then walked up to the river. We walked along the river, found a cool water feature outside a small museum and sat there for a bit. Abby got her zen on (pic below). We then walked up Piazza de Popolo. The girls played by those fountains while Jeff found a place to buy sandwiches. We walked up a ton of stairs to get into Borghese gardens. We found a shady bench and sat. The 3 of us shared the sandwiches Jeff bought and Lauren had a PBJ. The girls had the most fun running around a small area collecting sticks and acorns (and assorted garbage 🙄) for their “house”. 

We walked partway back down the hill to a public bathroom (I hate paying to use the bathroom - I’m not opposed to it, it’s just a pain always having to find change!) and then back into the park. The girls got more gelato and we walked a bit. We then rented a golf cart to drive around - we got it for an hour and it probably saved us. We got off once to see a fountain, once to play at a playground, and once to get a picture of a view, but it gave the girls’ legs a break! 

From there we headed out the park from a different road and straight to the Spanish Steps. So crowded! The girls and Jeff walked partway up for me to take a picture … and then they kept going! When they KEPT going, I finally raced up after them. We made it all the way to the top! And then up more stairs to Trinita dei Monti church. I told the girls how much Jeff likes churches so they agreed to go in. The first chapel on the left had a beautiful statue of Jesus right after he was taken down off the cross (pic in the Wikipedia page for the church) and the light in the window when we went was stunning. The girls were mesmerized- we walked through the rest of the church and they asked to go back and see it again before we left. Then down the stairs and everyone needed to sit and eat candy before we could continue. 

Next up - Trevi Fountain! Busier than the Spanish Steps! Lauren had been waiting for this! We each got a coin and made our way over to the center and made our wish. 

We headed out of that packed touristy area and when we got back to the Parthenon, the girls couldn’t take another step. We sat for dinner (amazing view!). Lots of melt downs during dinner … Lauren ate pasta, I had pizza, Jeff had fettuccine bolognese. He meant to order a Greek salad, but ended up with tuna nicoise, which I enjoyed more than him! He tried a Campari spritzer and literally gagged it down (I really thought it was coming back up!). I had a Hugo spritz. Still not my fave, but I liked it better than the aperol. Lauren ate all the mint and limes from my drink - I told her next time I see a nonalcoholic mojito on the menu I’ll get it for her! 

The girls were puddles when we left. Each wearing one of my/Jeff’s sweatshirts (they had gotten wet in a fountain), both begging to be carried. We made it back to the place with her cats, which kept them entertained for a min while Jeff ran back into the market for bananas and Diet Coke. 

Other random things from the day:
Ugh, they sell crap for the kids at every tourist location. I finally broke down and bought the squishy ball things by the Trevi Fountain. When they show them, they splat them on a table and it makes almost a mooing noise and they slowly roll back into a ball. In reality… no noise and they quickly rebound. 

We filled our water bottles a bunch in the public fountains! We discovered that some of them have and extra hole in the top of the spout; when you cover the bottom, it squirts out the top like a drinking fountain! 

On our first day when we took a cab from the train station, the girls were most excited about riding sans car seats. (And I sat in the middle with no seat belt… seriously taking my life in my hands with these drivers and roads!)

(I just spent 30 min typing all this and then thought I lost it! I was about to make a new post that just said “we walked a lot, saw SS, TF, cried through dinner” and then it popped up that I had an auto saved post. Thank heavens.) 

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1Z4F_2kR8wr225yfAsNm2HijPYqWZypArhttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1opvRKi2llPm9IHKw38otRdf9fy2fB-Xkhttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1nmg0ScuIXBl-YF6HNQxn2pCGUSl8s0z_https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1axbbUayhGsbY8F3RUZJC9kp8GGqLmee6https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1c_5T1S4CE98R-LRelsi2f3z7yzR8he15https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1tt2v603Z25T2Cchye4WbDj37fhydjg6Zhttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1aoVnSXrH0xn8avhTr5-YrhJ_NTKTNx9dhttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1JDHBuExAz8dm0OQCvDF8L9eJc04kpjZMhttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1TYmbYHX4LHGZg7EHpMvtPBkoh3mCL8WWhttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1PQZaZnOVFzb_95c5xBp3s8svc8rr4hfE
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1x-YKBOuM6snujntoQ51f7Jm9Wtkfxgx5

Comments

Carol Glisch said…
Great pictures! At least the golfcart had seatbelts!😊
Dana Bohlen said…
Can’t believe the picture makes it look like you had Trevi Fountain to yourselves! ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Travel day

Monday.  We really lucked out on weather the first 6 days. The last 3 were definitely not great for the pools. Today was sunny again and it’s amazing how much warmer it felt while we were walking around.  We got up and packed and headed out before 9 to try to catch a feeding. Never saw a feeding but wandered through the aquariums again. Breakfast at Shake Shack. Up over the rope bridge again.  Got our luggage and checked out at 11 and caught our shuttle to the airport. The ride to the hotel seemed to be on major roads, but the ride back to the airport seemed to take us through a ton of small rundown streets. We did go past the US Embassy and a few hospitals as well.  The line for TSA was long but went pretty fast and we cleared customs quickly. I got a Starbucks (coffee for me, pastries for the girls) and the girls colored in the gate area. Flight was easy and the girls discovered they could play tic tac toe against each other on the screens in the seats. We made it ...

Lauterbrunnen and Mürren, updated

Lauren and I are reading books, Jeff's at the laundromat. Really good day today. 21,000 steps! We're pooped! Walked thru the Lauterbrunnen valley, so beautiful. Wonderful day for it, too. Then up a cable car to Murren. I will post more later, but my phone battery is low and I'm going to try to get Lo to sleep. Update:  Yesterday was awesome. Jeff said it was his favorite hike, I still think Mannlichen too Kleine Scheidegg is my fave, but this was a very close second.  Started with breakfast again. L ate more pancakes, I got a fried egg and a roll with Nutella. Yum! Ooh, and the coffee, so good.  Then a nap for L and we got packed for the day. Caught the noon train to Lauterbrunnen. It was our first time leaving the station there; we've changed trains there a ton, but never left the platform. Town was really nice, and we had a gorgeous sunny day. The first waterfall is just outside of the main drag and then we got on what a blog I read called "a ...

Mannlichen

So last night we went to an Italian steakhouse/ pizza place for dinner called Sina's. We kept Lauren entertained with several of those really long skinny hard breadsticks (Mom, remember when you used to buy those for us?) and then when our anti pasta plate arrived (ham, salami, cheese, pickles (they seem to love pickles here!) and really tasty) the waiter (I think he was the owner) looked right at her sitting in Jeff's lap, said "this is for you" and set it right in front of her...a split second later she had both hands smack in the middle of the plate. Pretty funny, wish I'd gotten a picture. Jeff had pizza for dinner, I had spaghetti alla carbonara (good, but not as good as yours, Mom). Lauren sat in our laps until our main course came and then sat pretty happily in her stroller next to me, as long as I kept putting pasta in her mouth! Dinner was really good, probably amplified by the fact it was only our second real meal of the trip and neither of us had lunch....