Skip to main content

Souks

So tonight after work we decided to get dinner and then go out to the souks (markets) in old Dubai. It's the start of the weekend here (they work Sun-Thurs), so we figured we'd have plenty of time to explore and everyone assured us they'd be open until at least 11pm.

We went to dinner at Lemongrass - a restaurant someone told us served arguably the best Thai food in Dubai. And since Dubai has some amazing food ... well, it was great Thai food!

We then took a cab across the Dubai Creek to the old part of Dubai. He left us off a ways away from the souks so we started wandering that direction and found some streets busy with locals. And LOTS of bright lights and signs!


Some interesting names/signs on the stores:After making our way further west, we found the spice souks! Everyone had spices out in front of the booths and invited you in to their little storefronts to barter. A couple of the girls bought some things at one of the souks.


Only about 4 spice souks were open. There was a whole little alley way full of storefronts, all closed. We kept walking towards the gold and tapestry souks and never found them ... which baffled us all - we were under the impression they were quite large and all in the same area. We're hoping to get back over there another day to see the rest of the souks.

We decided to take a boat ride across the creek to get back towards our hotel. For just 1 dh (about 30 cents) you get on a very rickety old boat and go from one little station on the river to another. The boat drivers are just as crazy as the drivers on the roads around here. I'm not sure exactly what the etiquette is; people seemed to just drive wherever they wanted and honked whenever people got in their way! Here are some locals getting off the boat at the first station (yes, the blurring is intentional!):
Three of us on the boat on our way across the creek:
One of the dinner cruise boats (our little boat was about 1/10 of this size and no fancy lights :)) that takes diners up and down the river:

Comments

Unknown said…
Is that an entire bag of saffron crocus flowers? WOW...yummy!

Popular posts from this blog

Lauterbrunnen and Mürren, updated

Lauren and I are reading books, Jeff's at the laundromat. Really good day today. 21,000 steps! We're pooped! Walked thru the Lauterbrunnen valley, so beautiful. Wonderful day for it, too. Then up a cable car to Murren. I will post more later, but my phone battery is low and I'm going to try to get Lo to sleep. Update:  Yesterday was awesome. Jeff said it was his favorite hike, I still think Mannlichen too Kleine Scheidegg is my fave, but this was a very close second.  Started with breakfast again. L ate more pancakes, I got a fried egg and a roll with Nutella. Yum! Ooh, and the coffee, so good.  Then a nap for L and we got packed for the day. Caught the noon train to Lauterbrunnen. It was our first time leaving the station there; we've changed trains there a ton, but never left the platform. Town was really nice, and we had a gorgeous sunny day. The first waterfall is just outside of the main drag and then we got on what a blog I read called "a ...

Mannlichen

So last night we went to an Italian steakhouse/ pizza place for dinner called Sina's. We kept Lauren entertained with several of those really long skinny hard breadsticks (Mom, remember when you used to buy those for us?) and then when our anti pasta plate arrived (ham, salami, cheese, pickles (they seem to love pickles here!) and really tasty) the waiter (I think he was the owner) looked right at her sitting in Jeff's lap, said "this is for you" and set it right in front of her...a split second later she had both hands smack in the middle of the plate. Pretty funny, wish I'd gotten a picture. Jeff had pizza for dinner, I had spaghetti alla carbonara (good, but not as good as yours, Mom). Lauren sat in our laps until our main course came and then sat pretty happily in her stroller next to me, as long as I kept putting pasta in her mouth! Dinner was really good, probably amplified by the fact it was only our second real meal of the trip and neither of us had lunch....

Train, train, train, cog wheel train

I need to stop telling you that Lauren is asleep in her crib... She always wakes up right after I post! We had a lights-on party at midnight last night for over an hour. Anyway, it's all kind of a blur but Jeff got up around 9 and went down to eat; brought me up some eggs and fruit. And coffee (good man!). We got ready and packed up. New arrangement for the trains today (I thought it'd be to hard to get the two suitcases strapped together on and off trains)... suitcase with stroller attached and suitcase with hiking backpack attached and then I rolled the little one and carried Lauren. It worked pretty well. I keep thinking we have so much stuff! But glad we have Lauren with us even if it means lots of extra stuff. I am typing these updates on my phone, btw, and the autocorrect is super annoying, in case you see and super weird words thrown in. So the trains went well. We caught the train Zurich>Bern first. It was an express and only took about an hour, which was nice. L...